How many of you ladies out there get those irritating little red bumps along your bikini line? Well, if you’re among the thousands of girls on this planet who shave or wax down there, you’ve probably experienced this. Bikini bumps are annoying, and can be problematic and embarrassing for any bikini wearer. These pesky little red bumps appear from shaving or waxing your bikini line and improper caring for skin after the hair removal. This can lead to ingrown hairs and irritation of such sensitive skin. Don’t worry ladies it happens to us all, and we’re here to give you our top 5 tips on how to rid your bikini line of bumps for good!
1) Let your hair grow out slightly before shaving or waxing again. Resisting the temptation to shave is a crucial step for a smooth bikini line. Shaving over razor bumps will only irritate the skin more and create ingrown hairs or pimple-like bumps.
2) Soak in shower/bath. Make sure you’re steamed up in the hot water for at least 5 minutes before shaving. The heat from the hot water will soften and relax the hair follicles making the skin easier to shave.
3) Exfoliate. This may be the most important step in the entire process so pay attention! Start by exfoliating your bikini area with a mild exfoliator, our personal favorite is the Kiehl’s Gently Exfoliating Body Scrub in “Grapefruit.” This will rid the area of any dead skin and help you get a closer shave.
4) Shave. It’s best to use a fresh razor because that’s when the blades are the sharpest. Although it’s easy to lather up with your bar of soap or body wash, it’s best to use a proper shaving cream. Use a shaving cream with moisturizing oils and soothing herbal extracts like the Kiehl’s Simply Mahvelous female shave cream, another one of our must haves. Begin by shaving in a downward motion with the grain of the hair. Next, to achieve a closer shave, run the razor against the grain of the hair upwards; making sure go slow to reduce any razor burn. After shaving rinse the area with warm water and pat dry.
5) Protect and moisturize! After shaving moisturize the area with a thin moisturizer and let dry. Next, our special secret to eliminating razor bumps and ingrown hairs is to apply a thin layer of mild deodorant to the bikini line after shaving. The Dove Sensitive Skin Unscented Stick is our go-to because it’s gentle and mild for such a sensitive area. Make sure to use a different deodorant stick than the one you use on your arm pits. Lastly, resist any urges to scratch the sensitive area.
Now get your bikinis on and enjoy your silky smooth skin with confidence!
SHOP OUR FAVORITE SKIN PRODUCTS HERE